Due to growth, a rare and exciting opportunity for a HR Apprentice on an 18 month fixed term contract is available within Mercedes-Benz South West (City West Country Ltd), based at our Head Office in Exeter. This role will provide HR support for our group which is based from Taunton down to Truro.
If you are looking to take your first steps into HR, then this newly created role could be for you. With 9 sites and circa 520 employees, this will be a varied and busy role offering lots of opportunity learn and develop.
We are looking for an aspiring HR professional who is keen to learn, develop and really make an impact on the service we give and the projects we deliver.
As our HR Apprentice you will be a vital part of the team, providing support to the HR department. In this full time, 18 month fixed term contract you will learn and train alongside the HR team, developing your knowledge and working towards your CIPD level 3 qualification at Exeter College. Some of the key areas you will be involved in are:
HR Administration – Supporting a team of two, you will assist with contracts, right to work checks and will be the first point of contact for basic employee queries, escalating more complex queries where necessary.
Projects – You’ll be joining a fast growing company undergoing a period of transformational change which will give you the opportunity to work closely with your HR colleagues on a range of business critical projects.
HR System – Supporting and helping to administration of the new implementation of the HR systems.
The role will focus on the following areas with exposure growing as your skills develop:
- Providing administrative support to the HR department in line with the Company, employment legislation and Mercedes-Benz standards and processes
- To support the HR Advisor with the processes for new starters, leavers and to assist with all documentation in line with current legislation (offer letters, contracts of employment, variations in terms & conditions, references etc).
- To support the monitoring of sickness absence, including running monthly reports to identify those which need attention and liaise with the HR Advisor on advice for appropriate next steps.
- Sort and distribute incoming and outgoing post
- Ensure messages are taken accurately and passed to the relevant person
- Liaising with the Payroll department
- Build strong working relationships with internal and external customers
- Attend any investigation/disciplinary/grievance and appeal meetings as minute taker as and when required to obtain experience
- Administration relating to appraisals, capability, probationary reviews and exit interviews
- Supporting the HR Advisor to induct new employees and ensuring the process is properly administered
- Maintaining and monitoring the HR administration systems both paper based and computerised to ensure the HR database and other platforms are up to date and accurate
- Providing reports or statistical data when requested
- Assisting with the implementation, maintenance and administration of the HR systems and HR policies
- Accurate and timely input of data relevant HR systems and other HR databases as appropriate
- Maintain accurate filing systems for all records generated within the HR department
- Organise meetings as requested by members of the HR team, ensuring participants are invited, apologies collated, venues arranged for agenda and relevant papers circulated in a timely manner
- Organise training and development programmes internally and externally arranging the logistics associated with this
- Undertake confidential scanning, shredding and photocopying as required by the HR department
- Assisting the HR Advisor in being proactive in driving training and development
- Assist in the maintenance of Health and Safety online employee records and relevant training
- To provide a range of administrative support functions to the HR team
- Keep up to date employee personnel records
- Maintain records for annual appraisals and monthly performance reviews
- Undertake any other duties and tasks as reasonably required to ensure the successful operation of the HR/Payroll team
- To treat all individuals with dignity and respect
- Communicate the Mercedes-Benz culture of quality and excellence
- Communicate clearly, regularly and promptly with colleagues across all business areas
- Communicate any issues or problems to the department, managers and the director team when required
- Deliver consistently high standards of accuracy and quality in completion of information
- Sound experience of using Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel; working knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint
- An understanding of the core principles of GDPR, Data Protection Act 1998 and the practical application of these principles in relation to personal and sensitive personal data
- Numeracy and excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- To be flexible and work well under pressure with regularly changing priorities
- Good application of empathy and assertiveness dependent on the situation
- Ability to learn quickly
- Enthusiasm to learn the administration role required to support an ever evolving HR department within Mercedes-Benz South West
This is a fantastic opportunity to build a long term career in HR, with support, training and development every step of the way.
If you feel this is the opportunity for you, please apply for the role and submit your CV for consideration.
Job Type: Full-time (1 day at Exeter College completing CIPD Level 3, 4 days working at Mercedes-Benz South West) 18 month fixed term contract, Apprenticeship scheme with the possibility to extend and enrol in the CIPD Level 5 qualification.
Working hours: Monday – Friday, 8.00am-5.00pm, 1 hour lunch break
Salary: £4.05 per hour